On the 15th of March 2020, His Excellency President Cyril Ramaphosa announced to the nation steps designed to contain the outbreak of the Coronavirus (Covid-19) in the country.
On the 18th of March 2020 at the City of uMhlathuze Auditorium, the MEC Champion of King Cetshwayo District Municipality (KCDM), Honourable B. Sithole-Moloi convened Operation Sukuma Sakhe stakeholders with a purpose of devising a strategy on combating the spread of COVID-19.
The Province of KwaZulu-Natal has further issued a KZN-Risk Communication and Community engagement Plan that instructs all government Departments and Municipalities to:
- Educate the public about the disease, symptoms and risk of infection of COVID-19
- To warn the public about the dangers of the COVID-19
- To provide credible advice to the public to seek immediate medical attention when they display symptoms
- To provide information on prevention and precautionary measures to stop the spread of the disease
- To dispel myths (such as black people are strong) about the spread of the virus
- To ensure coordinated messages within the municipality and other stakeholders on COVID-19
- To discourage the stigmatisation of infected people
Based on the President’s pronouncements, the uMfolozi Municipality has developed an Emergency Response Plan to COVID-19, which outlines immediate interventions to be executed by the Municipality.
The Emergency Task Team that has been established includes His Worship the Mayor Cllr SW Mgenge (pictured above with Exco member Cllr Mkhize during a Covid-19 Awareness Campaign), Deputy Mayor Cllr SR Thabethe and Speaker of Council Cllr ZD Mfusi accompanied by ward councillors, Senior Management and official. The Delegation visited the Traditional Councils, Ward Committees and War Rooms to conduct awareness.
The teams were delegated according to the wards. Team A led by His Worship Mayor Cllr Mgenge visited Slovo Township in Ward 2, Ward 15 War Room, Ward 2 War Room and Mambuka Traditional Council in ward 17. Team B led by Deputy Mayor Cllr Thabethe visited Sokhulu Traditional Council in Ward 1, Ward 01 War Room, Ward 4 War Room, Mhlana Traditional Council, and Ward 8 War Room.
Team C led by Speaker of Council, Cllr Mfusi distributed pamphlets at Mzingazi stores, visited Ward 6 War Room, Mbonambi Traditional Council and Ward 3 War Room. The Municipality supplied the Traditional Courts and War Rooms with sanitizer and gloves.