Mr Z.D. MFUSI
STATUTORY FUNCTIONS OF THE SPEAKER OF THE COUNCIL
- The Speaker reports to, and is accountable to Council –
- Presides at meetings of the council and signs the minutes of the council meetings;
- Must ensure that council meets at least quarterly;
- Co-ordinates the arrangements regarding dates and venues for the meetings.
- Maintains order during meetings of the council and ensures that the meetings are conducted in compliance with the Council’s Rules of Order;
- Performs all other duties assigned to him/her in the Council’s Rules of Order of the Council;
- Ensures compliance with the Code of Conduct for councillors;
- Authorises any investigation or enquiry into suspected or alleged impropriety by councillors or any alleged breaches of the Code of Conduct for councillors;
- Determines where and when council meets;
- Convenes special meetings of council at his/her discretion or on request of the majority of councillors she/he must do so.