Cllr. S.W. Mgenge
2019 is a year of implementation for the many projects we have embarked on, to make uMfolozi Municipality a better place for all.
Various service Delivery and infrastructure project across uMfolozi are currently being handed over to our communities by the Council and Administration. Multiple Early Childhood Development Centres have been either built from scratch or refurbished in all our wards. As a Municipality, we firmly believe that it is important to equip each child with a quality foundation phase education in order to ensure that all children uMfolozi have a chance of a better life.
The upgrade of rural roads is critical towards allowing adequate access to people in rural communities and we upgraded access roads and sidewalks within the municipality such as the over Koko Access Road in Ward 3. We have also handed over Multi-Purpose Community Centres which are a safe place for our communities to gather for meetings of leisure or community participation.
The Administration and Council continue to be committed towards the advancement of uMfolozi by bringing government services closer to our people. A Driver’s License Testing Centre is currently under construction, once opened the Testing Centre will render the following services; Renewal and issuing of drivers licence, temporary drivers licences and the issuing of learners licences. The centre will focus on prioritising our community and is situated at the kwaMbonambi Industrial Zone next to the Slovo Township.
I firmly believe that education is the key ending poverty and sadly many of our young learners do not have the basics such as school uniforms and shoes. I and the Deputy Mayor Cllr Smangele Thabethe recently visited Ekupheleni High School and donated 200 school shoes. I also made the pledge to donate 300 school uniforms before June and Deputy Mayor Thabethe pledged to donate sanitary towels to the young girls.
Such acts must never be underestimated as many learners end up dropping out of school due to lack of self-confidence for attending schools without the proper school shoes or uniforms. No child in uMfolozi Municipality should be hindered from attending school due to lack of the very basics.
Let us all be united in making uMfolozi a community we can all be proud of.
I thank you.
Umnyalezo ophuma kuMeya
Unyaka ka-2019, unyaka wokwenza nokuphumelelisa imisebenzi yokuthuthukisa umphakathi ebesi siqalile ukuwenza ngenhloso yokuphucula izimpilo zabantu.
Imisebenzi eminingi yokuhanjiswa kwezidingo zabantu, kanye neyokuthuthukisa ingqalasizinda kulendawo isinikezelwe emphakathini. Izikhungo eziningi zokufundisa odado
(Early Childhood Development Centres), bezakhiwa zisuka phansi ezinye zivuselelwa, kuwo wonke amaWadi. NjengoMasipala siyakholelwa kakhulu ekuthenini kubalulekile ukuhlinzeka ingane ngemfundo yamabanga aphansi engcono nefanele ukuqinisekisa ukuthi zonke izingane kuMfolozi zithola ithuba lokuphila impilo engcono.
Ukulungiswa nokuvuselelwa kwemigwaqo yasemakhaya kubalulekile, ukuzama ukwenza ukuthi abantu basemakhaya bafinyalele kalula ezindaweni. Sivuselele imigwaqo engena emakhaya (Access Roads), salungisa nezindlela zabahamba ngezinyawo eceleni kwemigwaqo (Side Walks), njenge-Koko Access Road, kwa-Wadi 3. Sibuye sanikezela ngamahholo enza imisebenzi ehlukene (Multi-Purpose Community Centres), aphephile futhi asesimweni sokuthi amalungu omphakathi wakithi angahlanganela khona ebambe imihlangano ehlobonhlobo.
Abaphathi bakaMasipala, kanye nesigungu esihola uMkhandlu bayaqhubeka nokuzibophezela ekuthuthukiseni uMfolozi ngokuthi basondeze izinsiza zikaHulumeni eduze kwabantu. Kumanje uMkhandlu uphansi-phezulu wakha isikhungo sokuqeqesha nokufunda ukushayela, uma sesivuliwe lesikhungo sizosiza abantu ngokwenza nokuvuselela izincwadi zokushayela, kutholakale nezincwadi zokushayela zesikhashana njalo-njalo. Lesikhungo sizobeka eqhulwini amalunga omphakathi wakithi, kanti sitholakala kwaMbonambi Industrial Zone, eduze kwase-Slovo Township.
Ngiyakholelwa ekutheni imfundo ingukhiye wokuqeda indlala, kanti kubi ukuthola ukuthi abafundi bethu abaningi bantula izinsiza-kufunda ezifana nezicathulo, nemifaniswano.
NjengoMeya kanye neSekela lami uKhansela SR Thabethe, kamuva nje sivakashele eKupheleni High School, nalapho sifike sanikezela khona ngezicathulo ezingamakhulu amabili (200). Ngifike ngathembisa futhi ukuthi ngizobuya ngenyanga kaNhlangulana (June), ngizonikezela ngemifaniswano engamakhulu amathathu (300), kanti uSekela-Meya yena uzonikezela ngamaqakelo (Sanitary Towels), kubafundi bamantombazane. Izinto ezinjenga lezi akufanele sizibukele phansi ngoba abafundi abaningi bagcina sebesiyeka isikole ngenxa yokungabi nokuzethemba okudalwa ukungabi nazo izinsiza-kufunda ezanele njengomfaniswano nezicathulo. Akekho umfundi kuMfolozi okumele aphazamiseke emfundweni yakhe ngenxa yokuntula izinsiza-kufunda.
Sonke asibambisane ukwenza uMfolozi ube wumphakathi esiziziqhenyayo ngawo.
STATUTORY FUNCTIONS OF THE MAYOR:
- The Mayor reports to and is accountable to the Executive Committee and to Council
- Presides at meetings of the Executive Committee and signs the minutes of its meetings;
- Delegates appropriate duties to the Deputy Mayor;
- Decides when and where the Executive Committee will meet, but if a majority of the members request the mayor in writing to convene a meeting of the committee, the mayor must convene a meeting at a time set out in the request;
- Receives input on Council’s IDP from the Municipal Manager, tables this in the Executive Committee, conveys the recommendations of the Executive Committee to the council for approval of an IDP;
- Tables in the municipal council the annual report of the municipality;
- Must ensure that the municipality addresses any issues raised by the Auditor-General in an audit report;
- Performs all duties and functions in terms of the MFMA including, but not limited to:-
- Provide general political guidance over the fiscal and financial affairs of the municipality;
- Oversee the exercise of responsibilities assigned in terms of the MFMA to the accounting officer and the chief financial officer;
- and Within 30 days of the end of each quarter, submit a report to the council on the implementation of the budget and the financial state of affairs of the municipality;
- Performs the duties, including any ceremonial functions, and exercises the powers delegated to the mayor by the municipal council or the Executive Committee;
- If the mayor is absent or not available, and the municipality does not have a deputy mayor or the deputy mayor is also not available, the mayor may designate a member of the Executive Committee