Cllr. S.W. Mgenge
Residents of uMfolozi, 2020 was planned to be a year of vigorous service delivery and the implementation of many projects aimed at moving our Municipality a step closer towards meeting our target of sustainable development.
However, as with the rest of the world, South Africa now finds itself in a position of uncertainty as we fight the Covid-19 pandemic. All of our resources have been directed towards ensuring that South Africans are safe and protected from the coronavirus. The national lockdown implemented by President Cyril Ramaphosa was not taken lightly, however, the President needed to make the tough decision in order to save the lives of many South Africans.
I urge us all to heed President Ramaphosa’s call of staying in our homes and only venturing out when it is absolutely necessary to do so. We must follow the health guidelines of washing our hands with soap and water, using hand sanitisers when we do not have soap and water available, cleaning our counter surfaces at home on a regular basis, practising social distancing and quarantining ourselves when we feel we have the symptoms.
The common symptoms of Covid-19 are fever, tiredness and dry cough. Some people may experience aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat and diarrhoea. It is important to contact the free national coronavirus 24-hour emergency hotline on 0800 029 999 if you feel you have any of these symptoms.
Government has also launched a national screening and testing campaign that will see Community Health Workers going door to door to screen us for the virus. This is important as everyone needs to know their status in order to be assisted accordingly.
Before the pandemic came to our shores, we were on track in our poverty alleviation and developmental goals. We held an SMME Fair and Exhibition in an effort to provide a platform for networking and mentorship between emerging small businesses and established businesses.
Richards Bay Minerals officially handed over the upgraded Nhlabane and Mzingazi sports fields at a cost of R4, 7 million as part of the company’s social and labour commitments. Transport, Community Safety and Liaison, MEC Bheki Ntuli officially handed over the contractor for the construction of the P232 Road in kwaSokhulu.
We also awarded top-achieving matriculants through our Matric Excellence Awards and Bursary Programme and handed over school shoes to 120 learners still within the basic education system.
I would like to thank our essential service workers for their continued commitment during this time.
Let us all work together and contribute towards flattening the curve for a healthier South Africa.
Stay Home, Save South Africa.
Bahlali base-uMfolozi, unyaka ka-2020 bewuhlelelwe ukuba kube ngunyaka wokuhanjiswa kwezidingo zabantu ngamandla, kanye nokwenziwa kwemisebenzi yomphakathi eminingi obekuhloswe ngayo ukufikisa uMasipala wethu kwisigaba sokuphumelelisa izinhloso zethu zokuletha intuthuko engashabalali.
Kodwa-ke njenga semhlabeni wonke jikelele, iNingizimu Afrika izithola isesimweni sokungaqondi njengoba silwa impi yobhubhane lwesifo seCovid-19. Zonke izinsiza nezinhlelo zethu manje kuhloswe ngazo ukuqinisekisa ukuthi abantu baseNingizimu Afrika baphephile kuleli gciwane. Ukumiswa kwezinto ezweni okumenyezelwe nguMongameli Cyril Ramaphosa akubukelwanga phansi, kodwa-ke uMongameli bekumele athathe izinqumo ezinqala ukusindisa izimpilo zabantu abaningi baseNingizimu Afrika.
Nginxusa ukuba sonke sisabele kwikhwelo likaMongameli lokuthi sihlale emakhaya, siphume kuphela uma kubalulekile. Kumele silandele imiyalelo yezempilo yokugeza izandla zethu ngamanzi nensipho, sisebenzise ama-sanitiser ezandla uma singenayo insipho namanzi, sihlanze izindawo ezisobala emakhaya zikhathi zonke, siziqhelelanise nabanye uma sizizwa engathi sinezimpawu.
Izimpawu ezejwayelekile zeCovid-19, yimfiva, ukukhathala, nokukhwehlela okomisa umphimbo. Abanye abantu bangaba nokugula nezinhlungu, ukucinana emakhaleni, ukuba namafinyila amaningi, umphimbo onezilonda kanye nokuphathwa yisisu. Kubalulekile ukuxhumana nenombolo ephuthumayo yamahhala kazwelonke ye-Coronavirus ethi-0800 029 999, uma uzizwa unalezi mpawu.
UHulumeni uphinde wethula umkhankaso wokubhekwa kwezimpawu nokuhlola, lapho kuzobonakala khona oNompilo bengena indlu nendlu ngenhloso yokubheka izimpawu zegciwane. Lokhu kubalulekile njengoba wonke umuntu edinga ukuzazi isimo sakhe bese esizakala ngendlela efanele.
Ngaphambi kokuba lolubhubhane lufinyelele kithina, besisagxile emkhankasweni wethu wokulwisana nendlala kanye nokuthuthukisa umphakathi. Si singathe umbukiso wamaBhizinisi amancane ngenhloso yokwakha inkundla lapho amaBhizinisi amancane nalawo asephumelele ezokwazi ukuhlangana khona acobelelane ngolwazi. INkampani I-Richards Bay Minerals (RBM), ihlinzeke ngemali yenani lika-R4, 7 million ngenhloso
yokuvuselela izinkundla zezemidlalo ezimbili okuyiNhlabane kanye noMzingazi, njenge ngxenye yohlelo lwale nkampani lokuzibophezela ekufakeni isandla emphakathini ohlangothini lwezenhlalo nangokwemisebenzi. UMphathiswa wezokuThutha, ezokuPhepha nezokuXhumana koMphakathi esiFundazweni uMnuz Bheki Ntuli wethule ngokusemthethweni uSonkontilaki ozokwakha umgwaqo owaziwa ngo-P 232, endaweni yakwaSokhulu.
Sibuye sasingatha umcimbi wokuklomelisa abafundi bebanga leshumi abenze kahle ngemifundaze, saphinde sanikezela ngezicathulo zesikole kubafundi abangu-120 endaweni yakithi.
Ngifisa ukubonga abasebenzi bethu abenza imisebenzi emqoka ngokusebenza ngokuzinikela ngalesikhathi.
Sonke asisebenze ngokubambisana silekelele ekwakheni iNingizimu Afrika ephilile.
Hlala eKhaya, Sindisa iNingizimu Afrika.
STATUTORY FUNCTIONS OF THE MAYOR:
- The Mayor reports to and is accountable to the Executive Committee and to Council
- Presides at meetings of the Executive Committee and signs the minutes of its meetings;
- Delegates appropriate duties to the Deputy Mayor;
- Decides when and where the Executive Committee will meet, but if a majority of the members request the mayor in writing to convene a meeting of the committee, the mayor must convene a meeting at a time set out in the request;
- Receives input on Council’s IDP from the Municipal Manager, tables this in the Executive Committee, conveys the recommendations of the Executive Committee to the council for approval of an IDP;
- Tables in the municipal council the annual report of the municipality;
- Must ensure that the municipality addresses any issues raised by the Auditor-General in an audit report;
- Performs all duties and functions in terms of the MFMA including, but not limited to:-
- Provide general political guidance over the fiscal and financial affairs of the municipality;
- Oversee the exercise of responsibilities assigned in terms of the MFMA to the accounting officer and the chief financial officer;
- and Within 30 days of the end of each quarter, submit a report to the council on the implementation of the budget and the financial state of affairs of the municipality;
- Performs the duties, including any ceremonial functions, and exercises the powers delegated to the mayor by the municipal council or the Executive Committee;
- If the mayor is absent or not available, and the municipality does not have a deputy mayor or the deputy mayor is also not available, the mayor may designate a member of the Executive Committee