Cllr. S.W. Mgenge
As we commemorate the Nelson Mandela Centenary in 2018, we are energised to go back to our roots and work harder to reconnect with our communities and work harder to develop uMfolozi and tackle the remaining challenges still faced by our residents.
We are spearheading in our vision of improving the quality of life for all people of uMfolozi Municipality by creating economically viable and sustainable development. With this vision, we believe that it will be good for our current and future generations of residents of uMfolozi.
We take priority of education that is why we have created the Back to School campaigns to assist the learners who come from impoverished families. This year we have handed over 750 bicycles to 20 schools around uMfolozi with the help of National Department of Transport as part of their Shova Kalula Programme.
These bicycles will assist learners who travel more than 3 km to school. Minister of Arts and Culture Hon Nathi Mthethwa opened the Modular Library in ward 8. This Library will assist and encourage the young ones/ learners to read and know that the future is brighter with books. We see excellence in the service provided to our communities. We set ourselves ambitious but clearly defined goals to vigorously pursue this vision.
I would like to thank the administration and the uMfolozi Municipality Council for their hard work and dedication, towards making sure that service delivery is implemented efficiently and effectively. Our Council’s professionalism has made it possible for good governance to reign efficiently and to always address the needs of the people of uMfolozi.
Umnyalezo ophuma kuMeya
Kuyilungelo engingalithathi kakula ukuthi ngihlezi ngixhumani namalunga omphakathi woMkhandlu waseMfolozi. Lencwadi eqgukethe ulwazi ngezinto ezenziwa uMkhandlu, ibeka obala ukuthi senza njengoba sasiqumile sokuthatha loMkhandlu wethu omncane ozimisele ngokusebenza ukuthi uhlezi uqhubekela phambili ngezindlela ezingcono zokuxhumana nomphakathi.
Njengomkhandlu sisathatha izinqumo ezincomekayo zokuthuthukisa abahlali baseMfolozi abahlwempu. Kade ngivakashele esikoleni saseHomeLeigh KwesakwaMthethwa ewardini lesishiyangalombili lapho uMkhandlu ofike wanikeza abafundi abagama shumi ayisithupha nane ngemifaniswano yesikole. SinguMkhandlu okubona kubalulekile ukuletha inhlopho kanye nesithunzi esiqotho kubahlali bethu kanti njengoba izikhathi zinzima nemali inganeni kalula kubazali, ikakhulukazi laba abasezindaweni zasemakhaya okubenza ukuthi bangakwazi ukuthengela izingane zabo umfanikiswano wesikole. Ngiyazibhophelezela ngokwami ukuthi akumele kube khona umfundi eMkhandlweni waseMflolozi osaba ukuya esikoleni ngenxa yokuthi uzohlekwa ezinye izingane noma uzothethiswa esikoleni ngenxa yokungabi nomfanekiswano ofanele.
Ngizwele kakhulu njengoba isifundazwe sethu kanye nezwe lilonke kade lithintwe ifa elimnyama lokushaya abantu bokufika baseAfrika, akekho umAfrika okumele atshele omunye umAfrika ukuthi akaphume kulelizwe ngoba Sisonke singaba hlali baseAfrika. SinguMkhandlu sithi Phansi! Ngodlame olubhekiswe kwabokufika Phansi!
NjengoMkhandlu siyazibhophelzela ekuhambisaneni nohlelo lwahulumeni wazwelonke lokubuyela emasisweni, singuMfolozi siyakholelwa ukuthi kumele sibuyele emasisweni ukuze sikwazi ukuletha izindingo zabantu abazidinga nsuku zonke khona umphakathi uzobona ngamehlelo ukuthi siyasebenza.
Inyanga yabantu abasha isiseduze, akumele nangengozi sikhohlwe iqhaza elabanjwa intsha yangesikhathi sobandlululo ukuze ilethe ushintsho kulelizwe, kanti futhi akumele sikushaye indiva ukuthi intsha yanamhlanje iyona ikusasa lethu. Sizoba nezinhlelo ezahlukene zokulolonga intsha njengoba nami ngilindele ngabomvu umdlalo womcitiswano weqhawe laloMkhandlu uSiyabonga Sangweni.
Siyabonga kumphakathi ngokubekezela nokusebenzisana nathi, siphinde sizibophezele njengoMkhandlu waseMfolozi ukuthi intuthuko sizoyiletha sicabanga abahlali bethu phambili.
STATUTORY FUNCTIONS OF THE MAYOR:
- The Mayor reports to and is accountable to the Executive Committee and to Council
- Presides at meetings of the Executive Committee and signs the minutes of its meetings;
- Delegates appropriate duties to the Deputy Mayor;
- Decides when and where the Executive Committee will meet, but if a majority of the members request the mayor in writing to convene a meeting of the committee, the mayor must convene a meeting at a time set out in the request;
- Receives input on Council’s IDP from the Municipal Manager, tables this in the Executive Committee, conveys the recommendations of the Executive Committee to the council for approval of an IDP;
- Tables in the municipal council the annual report of the municipality;
- Must ensure that the municipality addresses any issues raised by the Auditor-General in an audit report;
- Performs all duties and functions in terms of the MFMA including, but not limited to:-
- Provide general political guidance over the fiscal and financial affairs of the municipality;
- Oversee the exercise of responsibilities assigned in terms of the MFMA to the accounting officer and the chief financial officer;
- and Within 30 days of the end of each quarter, submit a report to the council on the implementation of the budget and the financial state of affairs of the municipality;
- Performs the duties, including any ceremonial functions, and exercises the powers delegated to the mayor by the municipal council or the Executive Committee;
- If the mayor is absent or not available, and the municipality does not have a deputy mayor or the deputy mayor is also not available, the mayor may designate a member of the Executive Committee